With the shopping frenzy finally behind us, you’ve got the green light to give yourself a little extra TLC. And if you’re thinking of putting grandma’s Christmas cash to good use, we’ve got a few fun ideas to make your New Year’s Eve styling pursuits a little extra special. Either use pieces from your existing wardrobe or invest in one or two of our dress-up essentials, either way you go, each of these last-minute moves will make New Year’s a fashionable night to remember.
1. Take Flight—Try a fun, feathered skirt or jacket this New Year’s to add texture and whimsy.
Adam Ostrich Feather Bead Embellished Mini Skirt, $495, available at Net-A-Porter.
2. Play Mix Master—Pair a blazer with bright colored pants for an unexpected twist. A sequined or tuxedo style make a great match.
J. Crew Collection Sequined Blazer, $495, available at J. Crew.
3. Go Ahead, Be Eccentric—It’s NYE, after all, so experiment by topping off your outfit with a turban, a veil, or a fascinator hat.
WPQ Black Crochet Knit Trapeze Top, $73, available at Pixie Market.
4. Let Your Jewelry Do The Talking—Pair a simple tank dress or silk T-shirt with a statement necklace or big, vintage-inspired earrings.
Merle O’Grady Varvara Necklace, $293.70, available at My Wardrobe.
5. Brighten Up—Swap out that LBD for a bright colored mini. You’ll be easy to spot on the dance floor.
Alice + Olivia Peplum Dress, $370, available at Net-A-Porter.
6. Get Cozy—A vintage fur (or faux fur) coat is the classic New Year’s topper for staying warm and looking like a true glamazon (or glam rocker).
Theory Seymore Coat, $1,525, available at Theory.
7. Show Some Leg—Take some playful hosiery for a test drive. Try old fashioned garter belts (or a trompe l’oeil equivalent) or lace or polka dot patterns. New Year’s Eve is the best excuse to have fun with styling.
House Of Holland For Pretty Polly Super Suspender Tights, $20.69, available at ASOS.
8. Get Floored—Everyone will be in minis, so now’s the time to try an elegant floor-length dress or skirt to stand out. Try adding layers with different textures in the same colorway to give the look a more laid-back vibe.
Club Monaco lookbook image, courtesy of Club Monaco.
9. Contradict Yourself—Wear your fanciest dress with a tough pair of lace-up boots, just to shake things up.
Theory Zip-Front Sequin Dress, $486.50, available at Theory.
10. Be One Of The Boys—Take a clue from menswear and throw on a tailored tux jacket with long, lean pants and a sexy metallic or plunging neckline blouse.
Stella McCartney Tuxedo Jacket, $1,895, available at Net-A-Porter.